The annual Viktor Schreckengost Mangbetu Award salutes outstanding arts achievement and commitment by Attleboro Arts Museum W. Charles Thompson Museum School students.
As a result of a generous gift from Mrs. Gene Schreckengost, The Attleboro Arts Museum is the fortunate recipient of Viktor Schreckengost’s 1933 original Mangbetu Child; Bronze Casting #2. This exceptional piece was on display at the Museum during the Viktor Schreckengost Legacy Exhibition (March 21 – May 16, 2008) and serves as a strong symbol of Vik’s talent and range as an artist.
As a salute to Viktor Schreckengost, The Attleboro Arts Museum has instated The Viktor Schreckengost Mangbetu Award honoring Viktor’s contributions as an educator and remarkable accomplishments as an artist and designer.
- All Attleboro Arts Museum W. Charles Thompson Museum School art class or workshop students enrolled each fall are eligible to apply. Teams of students (no more than 6) can also submit one group application.
- There is no fee to apply. The deadline for applications is Thurs, Dec 8th, 2016 at 4pm.
- Students can be of any age, demonstrating Viktor Schreckengost’s commitment to life-long learning.
- Awards will be granted based on arts achievement, level of commitment and dedication/strength in the Museum classroom.
- Preference will be given to Museum members in good standing. This issue is stated in the application.
- Applications will require images of student artwork (no original artwork please) and artist statement(s). Adults can assist minors.
- Faculty will initially review the applications of their students during the last week of the class or conclusion of the workshop.
- The Museum Programs Coordinator then reviews successful applications that have received the endorsement of the instructor.
Award Recipient(s) receive:
- A month-long exhibition of their original artwork in the Attleboro Arts Museum’s Community Gallery, held during the month of June 2017.
- A commemorative ceremony honoring the award winner(s), held during June 2017.
- Complimentary Museum membership(s) for 1 year.
- Complimentary Viktor Schreckengost Legacy Exhibition catalog.
Viktor Schreckengost Mangbetu Award Past Recipients:
- 2009: Victoria Tarallo
- 2010: Arlena Phillips
- 2011: Cassie Chee
- 2012: Marina Spenciner
- 2013: Ryan Brown
- 2014: The Monotype Group (Susan Clarke, Celeste Houle, Carol Sacks, Jean Thompson, Andrea Warner, Mary Wojciechowski)
- 2015: Mary Musante
- 2016: Vaidehi Jawale